My boyfriend decided to make us dinner last night and whipped up these tasty little greek burgers. He found this recipe on Betty Crocker and we changed a few things to make it a healthy meal. I am a big fan of greek food and I love tzatziki sauce. I never thought about making my own sauce but it was really easy! This recipe was a nice change from our usual burgers and it was a fairly simple meal to prepare.
Greek Pita Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb lean grass fed ground beef
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, (thawed) squeezed to drain
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 5 Ezekiel 4:9 Whole Grain Pocket Breads
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce, torn in half
- Place shredded cucumber in clean dish towel; squeeze to remove any excess liquid. In small bowl, mix cucumber and remaining sauce ingredients. Cover; refrigerate until serving time.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. In large bowl, mix all burger ingredients except pocket bread, tomatoes, and lettuce. Shape into 5 patties. Place patties on grill over medium heat. Cover grill; cook 5 to 8 minutes, turning once, until meat thermometer inserted in center of patties reads 160°F.
- Spoon 2 tbsp sauce on bottom half of each pocket bread. Top with burger, tomato and lettuce. Serve with a side salad or a vegetable. Enjoy 🙂