Marinating meats and vegetables is my favorite way to add flavor to a dish. A lot of store bought marinades are high in sodium so I prefer to make my own. Making a marinade is simple and cheap, all it takes is a few flavorful ingredients. This marinade took me a couple minutes to prepare and I promise this is one of the best marinades I have ever tried.
The combination of lime juice and cayenne pepper adds a unique smoked flavor to an already delicious meal. Did I mention how simple this healthy and tasty dinner was to prepare? I marinated the steak for 2 hours because that’s all the time I had but if you are able to plan ahead I highly recommend marinating the steak for 24 hours. This marinade would do well with other meats like chicken or fish. Give it a try… I promise you will not regret it!
Healthy Marinated Steak Kabobs
Total time: 2+ hours of marinating and 15 minutes of cooking
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 pound filet of sirloin
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Cut steak into 2 inch cubes. Combine lime juice, water, olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, sea salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper in a large ziploc bag and mix well.
- Add steak to mixed marinade and put in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Heat charcoal grill or gas grill to medium.
- Cut onion and peppers into 2 inch squares. String marinated steak, onions, and peppers onto skewers.
- Cook kabobs for 5-8 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
- Combine kabobs with brown rice or whole wheat tortillas. Enjoy!