It took me a little bit before I came across a recipe for protein pancakes that worked and tasted good. I ended up with a lot of dry and burnt pancakes before I discovered how to make the batter properly. I found a recipe for protein pancakes on www.muffin-topless.com and I have used these ingredients ever since. These protein pancakes come out perfect every time and have a similar consistency and flavor to classic buttermilk pancakes.
The key to making tasty and appealing protein pancakes is letting the batter set for 5 minutes. While my batter is setting, I begin to pre-heat my skillet over medium heat and I make sure that the skillet is fully heated before I pour my pancake batter onto the pan. Follow these two steps and you will make delicious protein pancakes every time!
Peanut Butter & Banana Protein Pancakes
Total time: 15-20 minutes
Yields: 3-4 pancakes (1 serving)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 large banana, cut in half (use 1/2 for batter, 1/2 for topping)
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tbsp all natural peanut butter
- Add all ingredients to a magic bullet or a blender and blend until batter is smooth. Let batter set for 5 minutes.
- Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat on medium.
- After the batter is set and your pan is pre heated, pour batter onto pan (makes 3-4 pancakes) and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Pancakes are ready to flip when bubbles appear.
- Top pancakes with peanut butter and remaining 1/2 banana. I like to drizzle natural maple syrup on top too. Enjoy! :)