Eating clean does not mean your meals have to be bland and boring. There are plenty of tasty and clean recipes out there… you just have to look! Eating clean introduced me to a lot of unique spices and flavors. I actually did not like spicy food of any kind before eating healthier meals. I guess using them so often to add flavor to my meals has increased my tolerance to spices.
I found these tasty little fries on Muffin Topless‘ blog. All of the different spices combined create a mildly spicy and smokey flavor. This recipe changes it up for your taste buds if you’re tired of eating sweet potatoes or if you’re not a fan of sweet potatoes. Give this a try next time you’re making burgers!
Spicy and Clean Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites (or 2 egg whites)
- tsp chili powder
- tsp garlic powder
- tsp oregano
- tsp ground cumin
- tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop sweet potatoes into classic french fry shapes. Try to keep them an even thickness or they will not cook properly.
- Add uncooked sweet potatoes to a large bowl (preferably one with a lid, it makes it easier). Add egg whites and toss until the potatoes are coated.
- Combine all spices in a small bowl and mix. Add mixed spices on top of your potatoes in large bowl and toss until all fries are lightly coated with spices.
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray and spread the fries out evenly.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Flip the fries and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until desired consistency. Total cook time should be about 35 minutes.
- For extra crispy fries: Turn your oven to broil for a few minutes after the full 35 minutes cook time is up.
Serve warm and enjoy :)