I am always looking for ways to make a healthy breakfast that is tasty and interesting. I decided to attempt strawberry shortcake inspired pancakes. They were delicious! My favorite part of a strawberry shortcake is the whipped cream but they are usually full of sugar and artificial ingredients.
I started searching for healthy whipped cream recipes when I found a really easy coconut whipped cream on Detoxinista. This breakfast only took me 15 minutes to make… whipped cream and all!
Strawberry Shortcake Protein Pancakes
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 large banana
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 4-5 fresh strawberries (for topping)
Coconut whipped cream:
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (cream only)
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients, expect for strawberries, to a magic bullet or blender and blend until batter is smooth. Let batter set for 5 minutes.
- Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray and heat on medium.
- Begin making coconut whipped cream while the pan heats and your batter sets.
- After the batter sets and your pan is hot, pour batter onto pan (makes 3-4 pancakes) and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Pancakes are ready to flip when bubbles appear.
- Cut strawberries into thin slices and place in between each pancake. Drizzle with 1-2 tbsp of coconut whipped cream. Enjoy! :)